Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Remove JB Bootcamp from the map pool

Should JB Bootcamp be removed?

• Yes, get rid of it

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No, keep it

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarSocks

you guys like m&ms?
Staff Member
Admin
This is obviously going to stir a lot of controversy, so I’ll just get it out of the way now.
JB Bootcamp is an unfun and unbalanced mess of a map that I don’t think has a place in the JB map pool.

I know a lot of people like it, mainly the people who don’t play on blu team often, because it’s just easy to rebel in. You just bhop away, then snipe guards from across the map.
Sure, it might be fun for reds who like cheeky kills and easy rebel scenarios, but for blu team it’s annoying, exhausting, and gives them less reason to play on blu, at least until the map changes. Simply put, it’s unbalanced.

On top of the map being too easy to rebel in and too unfun for blu team to combat, it’s just... boring. It’s quite literally a flat piece of terrain. That’s it. No interesting ground variation, no gimmicks, no interesting map themes, it’s quite literally just a flat piece of ground. I could probably recreate the entire map in roblox in about 10 minutes.

The only things carrying Bootcamp are some minigames and secrets. Unfortunately, they just don’t offset the poor layout of the map.
I know everyone is going to look at me and laugh, vote no, then go back to abusing their bhop plugin to rebel. But seriously, think about it from a balancing standpoint. Also take into consideration the fact that the creator of the map hates it and removed it from GameBanana, doesn’t that say something?

A lot of the unbalance likely comes from the fact that bhop simply exists; without bhop it’s too hard to rebel, but with bhop it’s too easy. It’s not a good design, and rather than compensating by turning off bhop in certain scenarios, I just think the best solution is to remove the map entirely.

Banana

Uncharitable
I don’t think people will go for this, which is a shame because this map really isn’t good.

matt

Mildly Menacing
I can understand you're point about it being hard as a blue to stop rebellers, I'd say, unless you're a solo blue, then you have teammates who also have bhop, they are especially effective if they have some sort of propulsion method aka rocket launcher. Someone bhopping using a rocket launcher can gain speed extremely quickly, much faster than someone just using their momentum.

Obviously this doesn't entirely counter bhoppers, but it makes it more bearable.

Blue snipers are also a good counter.

Honestly, I don't think it's that big of an issue unless you can't bhop or you are playing a close range class like pyro.

HoneyBadger

6U TE2H PMV8
Staff Member
Keep it. I find no issues with the map as a guard.

SolarSocks

you guys like m&ms?
Staff Member
Admin
I can understand you're point about it being hard as a blue to stop rebellers, I'd say, unless you're a solo blue, then you have teammates who also have bhop, they are especially effective if they have some sort of propulsion method aka rocket launcher. Someone bhopping using a rocket launcher can gain speed extremely quickly, much faster than someone just using their momentum.

Obviously this doesn't entirely counter bhoppers, but it makes it more bearable.

Blue snipers are also a good counter.

Honestly, I don't think it's that big of an issue unless you can't bhop or you are playing a close range class like pyro.
The issue this creates is the fact that you need bhop to even be level with everyone else. If you’re someone who’s either inexperienced with bhopping or doesn’t have a script set up for it, you’re not nearly on the same level as most other reds who can.

It shouldn’t need to be a requirement to rebel/catch rebellers easily. Yes, it’s a huge advantage, especially on a lot of big maps, but it’s practically required on Bootcamp (except for maybe Scouts).

BabyBARKing

Sufficiently Lethal
The issue this creates is the fact that you need bhop to even be level with everyone else. If you’re someone who’s either inexperienced with bhopping or doesn’t have a script set up for it, you’re not nearly on the same level as most other reds who can.

It shouldn’t need to be a requirement to rebel/catch rebellers easily. Yes, it’s a huge advantage, especially on a lot of big maps, but it’s practically required on Bootcamp (except for maybe Scouts).
poopoo stinky

Sugar

real femboy
In my opinion. Its very agienst blus as the huge map and small numbers can make very easy for reds to rebel, and the sniper sight lines for that map are insane. In my stand it's a bad bad please remove.

HoneyBadger

6U TE2H PMV8
Staff Member
I'm saying this again, the map is fine the way it is. Stop trying to cancel everything. Leave that in the real world. Not our pixilated paradise.

Since it looks like this suggestion is probably going to stalemate or get declined, as the creator of this garbage map I guess I'm at least obligated to give you the option to update it.

For updates their are two options v5a and v6_beta

v5a is a simple bugfix version of the current v4, it does not fix the nuke exploit, it does not fix the sitelines and it does not fix the maps subpar optmization. It does make the medium ammo at soccer no longer respawn and it does fix some random bugs such as the broken dr trap.

v6_beta is unfinished but is probably close enough to being finished that it would probably play fine*. This overhauls a good chunk of the map, optimizing it replacing some of the mini's with better ones, revamping others and overhauling the detailing to make it look more like a tf2 map rather than a mish-mash of tf2 and hl2 assets that the current map is like. The downside is that it's as I said earlier unfinished and probably has some unforeseen bugs and exploits.

*Fine as in better than the current bootcamp lol

20210606081329_1.jpg
20210606081415_1.jpg
20210606081443_1.jpg

I will put out a download for this one later as it needs some adjustments.

SolarSocks

you guys like m&ms?
Staff Member
Admin
Since it looks like this suggestion is probably going to stalemate or get declined, as the creator of this garbage map I guess I'm at least obligated to give you the option to update it.

v5a is a simple bugfix version of the current v4, it does not fix the nuke exploit, it does not fix the sitelines and it does not fix the maps subpar optmization. It does make the medium ammo at soccer no longer respawn and it does fix some random bugs such as the broken dr trap.

v6_beta is unfinished but is probably close enough to being finished that it would probably play fine*. This overhauls a good chunk of the map, optimizing it replacing some of the mini's with better ones, revamping others and overhauling the detailing to make it look more like a tf2 map rather than a mish-mash of tf2 and hl2 assets that the current map is like. The downside is that it's as I said earlier unfinished and probably has some unforeseen bugs and exploits.

View attachment 1118
View attachment 1119
View attachment 1120

I get the feeling this vote won’t win, so this seems like a decent middle ground; judging by the screenshots alone it already looks way better than what we have now.

If the vote fails, be sure to keep us posted. I’d love to see what could be done to make it more tolerable!

Where'sTheLambSauce

Somewhat Threatening
Just say you need a crutch at rebelling and move on ?
We REDs do need some freedom from time to time and Bootcamp is one of the best maps that allows REDs to have fun, and wind down a little from the sometimes super oppressive BLUs. It ain't fun being told "BoMbRuSh To My WaRdEn MaRkErS aNd AfK fReEzE UpOn ArRiVal. It Is AlsO nO jUmP dAy, ClaSs ReStRicTioNs ApPly, MeDicS nO hEaLinG, ScoUtS no PrOjeCtileS( <- I Hate that one) anD sPiEs HavE SapPeRs OuT" all the time. And sometimes, rules (Not server rules ?) need to be broken to spice things up ?

Where'sTheLambSauce

Somewhat Threatening

View attachment 1118
View attachment 1119
View attachment 1120

jb_bootcamp_v6 do be movin' mad ???

SleeperStim

Gore-Spattered
Bootcamp isn't really that bad of a map, its a bhopper's dream. Usually people think its garbage because of how large it is or how easy it is to rebel. I can see SolarSocks's point of how its unbalanced for the BLU's to hunt and chase RED's, since rebellers could easily get away by bhopping. I also can agree that the map layout is lacking, since its just minigames in a flat area. Most maps have minigames next to each other every time, like in hopjb or minecraft daybreak. I can also point out that people do abuse the bhop mechanic on the map. As someone who likes the bootcamp map, it's generally not fun for the BLU's to play on, the only classes that are viable for the BLU's is demo, soldier, and sniper, sometimes scout.

Status
Not open for further replies.