Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Introducing: Virus

Noodl

Positively Inhumane
Staff Member
Owner
Hey folks,
As some of you may or may not have known, I've been writing an entirely new gamemode somewhat recently, and launched public playtest tonight, which concluded a few more balance changes.

So here's the official thread for the new Virus gamemode. Introducing:

Virus:
Run from the infection

Virus is a gamemode in which one player starts as the virus, and has to infect the blue players.

The twist is that there's darkness everywhere, and you can only see a small distance around you.
The virus is growing, and it's coming.

• The virus kills you in two consecutive hits. You cannot fight back. Avoiding the finishing blow for long enough will allow you to recover, and take another hit.
  • If you get infected, you too, burst into flames and start chasing the living.
  • Survivors get terror music to signify different levels of distance to the viruses.
  • Survivors are equipped with a scorch shot with limited ammo, this is for knocking back a pursuing virus as a last resort to escape.
  • Survivors and viruses are equipped with a sonar radar. This outlines players in different ways every so often, for a few seconds. As the remaining survivors begin to deplete, viruses will stop seeing survivors, and finally, survivors will see the blazing viruses through the darkness.
  • Survivors are also equipped with a hammer, which outlines a virus and slows them down, allowing for an escape.
  • Maps are going to be primarily Prophunt. VSH maps are also up for testing, but are generally smaller and less fittingly designed for this purpose.
  • Any arena maps that have certain map entities will work.
  • Survivors can scorch jump, and will not take any burn damage, but will take the flare damage.
  • 1 random virus is selected at the start of each round.
  • Survivors get 30 seconds of hiding time before the virus is unleashed.

For those who played Virus tonight, what was your overall response to it?
What would you add, remove, or change?
Do you have any suggestions?

My roadmap for changes are as follows:

• Change the virus' high jump for a sliiiightly higher double jump to counteract scorch shot jumping to inaccessible places.
  • Add powerups, for things like increased vision, speed, maybe a temporary weapon, outlining. Suggestions for these would be appreciated.
  • Add something to make virus gameplay a little more directed, as I felt I was just wandering around in the dark. Sound tells or something maybe.
  • Tighten up team change rules to stop people suiciding and changing teams therefore wasting rounds.
I'm very much looking for feedback on the game still.
As like most TF2 gamemodes, I'm faced with the reality that it won't get many players because it's not x10.

Public server: 77.75.122.206:27355
Currently only up when doing playtests, as I'm not releasing something I'm not completely happy with.

Last edited:

ColdRamen

Notably Dangerous
Sounds awesome! I'll check it out when I get back from work.

Kat0150

Truly Feared
A suggestion that came up on the server was maybe giving the last survivor a weapon to fight back against the viruses. Some prophunt servers give the last survivor a shotgun if there is more than one hunter (virus in this case) still alive.

SWIGGY

Truly Feared
Cueel im defiantly goinging to check it out! Never played this b4 tho

JanKo

Gore-Spattered
So after playing this "Virus"

Pros: Maybe if people were playing this then it would be fun
Its just some sort of prophunt... but without props...and with that "Darkness" thing

Cons: This "Darkness"... Why? Cause on huge maps its butthurt to find someone if there is like only 1 guy who searching
Maps- Mostly using Prophunt / VSH maps... Those maps are mostly huge, so maybe just pick some small maps and put those in server map list?

I cant tell more cause i playd like 5 rounds and then leaved cause it was cancer to find someone

fairblitz

Unremarkable
Hey folks,
As some of you may or may not have known, I've been writing an entirely new gamemode somewhat recently, and launched public playtest tonight, which concluded a few more balance changes.

So here's the official thread for the new Virus gamemode. Introducing:

Virus:
Run from the infection

Virus is a gamemode in which one player starts as the virus, and has to infect the blue players.
The twist is that there's darkness everywhere, and you can only see a small distance around you.
The virus is growing, and it's coming.
  • The virus kills you in two consecutive hits. You cannot fight back. Avoiding the finishing blow for long enough will allow you to recover, and take another hit.
  • If you get infected, you too, burst into flames and start chasing the living.
  • Survivors get terror music to signify different levels of distance to the viruses.
  • Survivors are equipped with a scorch shot with limited ammo, this is for knocking back a pursuing virus as a last resort to escape.
  • Survivors and viruses are equipped with a sonar radar. This outlines players in different ways every so often, for a few seconds. As the remaining survivors begin to deplete, viruses will stop seeing survivors, and finally, survivors will see the blazing viruses through the darkness.
  • Survivors are also equipped with a hammer, which outlines a virus and slows them down, allowing for an escape.
  • Maps are going to be primarily Prophunt. VSH maps are also up for testing, but are generally smaller and less fittingly designed for this purpose.
  • Any arena maps that have certain map entities will work.
  • Survivors can scorch jump, and will not take any burn damage, but will take the flare damage.
  • 1 random virus is selected at the start of each round.
  • Survivors get 30 seconds of hiding time before the virus is unleashed.

For those who played Virus tonight, what was your overall response to it?
What would you add, remove, or change?
Do you have any suggestions?

My roadmap for changes are as follows:

• Change the virus' high jump for a sliiiightly higher double jump to counteract scorch shot jumping to inaccessible places.
  • Add powerups, for things like increased vision, speed, maybe a temporary weapon, outlining. Suggestions for these would be appreciated.
  • Add something to make virus gameplay a little more directed, as I felt I was just wandering around in the dark. Sound tells or something maybe.
  • Tighten up team change rules to stop people suiciding and changing teams therefore wasting rounds.
I'm very much looking for feedback on the game still.
As like most TF2 gamemodes, I'm faced with the reality that it won't get many players because it's not x10.

Public server: 77.75.122.206:27355
Currently only up when doing playtests, as I'm not releasing something I'm not completely happy with.
Definately gonna check this out, sounds great!

Spades

Went out for groceries and never came back
oh shiet, I remember talking about this.

JanKo

Gore-Spattered
:haha: necro lel :haha:

Should this be deleted? as no one plays it...i think

Quagsire

Strange
Totally not an ominous name for something...